Architecture and Design, McMullan Art Leadership Internship
● Upper-level undergraduate student or graduate student; recent graduates (within one year of
graduation) will also be considered;
● Due to onsite necessity, applicants must be based in the Chicagoland area for the year and/or
attending school in the Chicagoland area;
● Academic background in architecture, design, art history, visual arts, museum studies, or related
● Excellent research skills; experience with archives and databases is desirable;
● Excellent writing skills;
● Collaborative, detail-oriented, and curious individual who demonstrates interest and enthusiasm
to learn about new cultures and creative practices;
● Committed to an inclusive and equitable work environment and museum culture;
● Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and writing skills;
● Familiarity with Google Professional Suite;
● Awareness of and/or curiosity about art museum culture and current events in the field.
You must upload all of the requested materials below (résumé and essay responses) into only one pdf document and list your last name and “AY2324” in the title of the file (example: [LAST NAME]_AY2324.pdf.). Please upload your materials where the application asks for a “résumé/cover
PLEASE NOTE: You will not be considered if any requested application element is missing.
To apply for this internship, tell us your story. We want to understand who you are, what motivates you,
how you think, and where you’re coming from. Please submit the following materials:
● Instead of a traditional cover letter, please respond to the following questions and prompts in
short essays (maximum 300 words except for the last prompt.) We encourage you to provide
specific examples to support your answers or to illustrate your ideas:
o What about this job description interests you the most?
o With the mission of the McMullan Arts Leadership intern program in mind, what
perspectives might you bring to this role that you think museums need more of?
o How do you envision this opportunity helping you towards your professional goals?
This application will close on Monday, July 31st at 10:00 pm CDT. Selected applicants will be asked to interview via video call after the deadline passes.
Duration of Position: 31 weeks / September 2023 (start date anytime during the week of September 25-29) through April 2024 (end date anytime during the week of April 22–26)
Compensation: Paid / $16.32/hr /Part-time / Temporary