Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage the prototype shop and the fabrication and finishing of all prototypes.
- Build and develop a world-class team and to create and deliver outstanding prototypes.
- Mentor and lead the prototype team and provide coaching and development.
- Collaborate with Designers and Engineers to brainstorm ideas and solutions to issues.
- Lead the development of prototypes of different levels of finish throughout the entire product development process (rough mock-ups, form studies, ergonomic testing prototypes, and finished sales samples.)
- Manage project timelines, due dates, and budgets.
- Manage overall vendor coordination including vendor relationships and vendor sourcing.
- Package and ship prototypes to ensure safe delivery to and from customer meetings and shows.
- Associates degree or Certificate Program required (Bachelor’s degree preferred), with a concentration in Engineering, Industrial Design, Model Making, or Fine Arts.
- 7+ years experience in a product development or model making environment required.
- CAD/CAM (Surfcam/Solidworks) experience is a plus, but not required.
- Prior experience with consumer products is a strong plus.
- Experience in or working knowledge of consumer product development processes preferred.
- Experience creating models to represent a variety of materials and processes including injection molded, blow-molded and roto-molded plastics, metal fabrication, finishing and painting, 3D printing, fabric construction and wood component assemblies.
- Prior experience in managing a team.